24 Ways to Say Chinese Filler Words
Do you often use these filler words in English – “Oh well, yeah, yup, you know, really, right”? And wondering if there are any Chinese filler words. The answer is “Yes”, we often use terms such as 嗯 ēn，是吗？ shì mǎ？， 真的假的？ zhēn de jiǎ de？and many more when we are having a conversation with friends. However, China is a big country, and there are many Chinese filler words can be used in different situation.
Let me break it down for you with a brief English explanation and a few real examples.
Here are 24 Ways to Say Chinese Filler Words
1.To agree with someone when they are talking about a particular topic, you say
- 嗯 ，嗯。 ēn， ēn 。- lit. Yeah
- 就是。jiù shì 。- lit. Right
- 没错儿。méi cuòr 。- lit. That’s right
- 对对对。duì duì duì 。- lit. Yup,
- 确实是。què shí shì – lit. Indeed
- 有道理 yǒu dào li – lit. Make sense, you have the point
2. To understand the statement when they are talking about a specific topic, you say
- 噢，是这样啊。ō ，shì zhè yàng ā 。- lit. Oh, Is that so.
- 怪不得。guài bu de。- lit. No wonder!
- 我说呢！wǒ shuō ne！
3. To describe a sequence of events when you wish to know more about an individual subject, you say
- 然后呢 ？rán hòu ne ？ – lit. And then
- 后来呢？hòu lái ne ？ – lit. Then
- 你接着说。nǐ jiē zhe shuō 。- lit. Continue the topic
- 那个。nà ge。- lit. that
4.To express yourself in a surprise situation when you hear a shocking news, you say
- 啊 ā ！- lit. Ah!
- 真的（吗）？ zhēn de （ma）？ – lit. Is that real?
- 不会吧！bú huì bā ！- lit. I don’t think so
5. To express yourself in a hesitated response when you are unsure the answer, you say
- 真的假的？zhēn de jiǎ de ？- lit. Is it real?
- 真的吗? zhēn de ma? – lit. Is it true?
- 是吗? shì ma? – lit. Really?
6. To seeking an agreed answer from someone, you say
- 是不是? shì bú shì? – lit. Isn’t it?
- 对不对? duì bú duì? – lit. Right?
7. Other familiar Chinese filler words
- 好吧! hǎo bā! – lit. Ok
- 其实 qí shí – lit. Actually,
- 知道吗? zhī dào ma? – Do you know?
If you would like to practice these Chinese filler words with the MP3, you can get it by clicking he image below.
Now It’s Your Turn
In the comment, do you use any of these Chinese filler words? If so, which is your favorite Chinese filler words?